There was a concert in a park. It was sunny, warm and good, and people were summer dressed. Light clothes, swimming suits, capulanas, you see the picture... People sun bathing, chilling and grilling... Having a good time.
I was having a conversation with a friend, when somebody else (a person who could be my father) interfered; and my friend left in a very discreet way. So, there was I, listening to this bava, and I mean Bava, at least considering his age.
And it goes more or less like this:
- I tell you, these Norwegians, look at them! The way they dress man, eish!
- I tell you! Look at them, especially the women.
- I understand that not everyone accepts it...
- Phela if it was in South Africa! Heeeee!... You know, phela the other day I met this old man. He is from Ghana. A really old man. He was upset!
- I'm telling you! He was upset, I met him in the tram. When I greeted him, heh, he was so angry! He started telling me, this is what we are talking about. This man has been living here in Norway for long. The white women in this country! That is why there are so many cases of Africans raping Norwegian women, because you see, they can't resist! They are not used to it. You see, this is an old man saying, so, you can imagine yourself, a young man, seeing all this. You see! And then they go around and say that African men this or that! It is their fault!
- ... (By then my eyes were two big balls almost falling from their place. Could not believe what I was hearing. From an almost stranger. Wanted to hear more. I had to hear more. For once.)
- So you see, you, phela in South Africa, that is why, there was this woman who had a mini skirt. Then the taxi drivers, they helped her, they took off her skirt and... hmmhmm. they let her go just like that! Because, you see, this is what I am talking about. She wasn't dressed. Phela we are Africans!
- ... -I started crying in my heart, but I wanted to hear more. (And he definitely doesn't know that I know about these incidents, and the taxi drivers don't just undress the Women. They rape them as well. Gang rape. What is the difference anyway? Raping is raping)
- I have to say, you are quite different, you let me talk although we may not agree, you see, many people are not like this at all.
I call upon all my Mothers and Sisters to give me strenght. All I wanted to ask this man was if he could think that a woman, each and every woman had the right to love and dress or even undress her own body.
I wanted to ask him if he had ever thought that NO MAN had and has the right to touch a woman without her consent.
I wanted to ask him if he didn't have a Mother, a Sister a Daughter...
I turned and left with my tears.